Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Arriving at Apple Rehab.............

May 13, 2010
I arrived at Apple Rehab in Mystic, CT at around around 4 or 5ish (I think). The funny thing about this facility is that my 92 year old Aunt Sarah was there as well!! How funny is that? I didn't originally pick this site, they just happened to have an opening and the Apple Rehab in Westerly did not. The ambulance crew is wheeling me down a corridor when all of a sudden it sounded as if they whole place joined in loud clapping all at once and I saw all of the people lining the hall way and who was in the center of it all?? My Aunt Sarah!! She was soooo excited to have her niece there with her now. They wheeled me to a private room (thank God!) and I was suddenly bestowed with attention and kindness that I had not received from nurse's at BIDMC, that's for sure!!

The private room that I was in had just been renovated and because I arrived a couple of hours earlier than I was supposed to, it wasn't quite ready. Their maintenance guy, Michael, was in there rushing around trying to do ten things at once. They kept apologizing and I kept telling them it was okay. The room was spacious, with a beautiful hardwood floor (just installed) and bathroom (which actually could have used updating!) TV and wireless Internet access. When I arrived, I was still reeling with some bowel issues (due to another bout of that damn constipation and stool softeners and enemas! UGH!) but true her word, Aunt Mary went to Steak Loft restaurant and came back with the most succulent steak dinner! After all of that hospital food, I was in heaven. The only thing was, I didn't have a very big appetite. But it was delicious!!!! Plus, I think my blood was craving pure protein. I was in a lot of pain and they had told me that I was going to get just Percocet until the Oxycontin came in, but that it was ordered. They never said it wouldn't be in for almost 24 hrs., but nonetheless, they were right on time, every 4 hours, feeding me Percocet - doing everything they could to keep me comfortable.

When everyone left that night, and lights were out, I laid there and started to cry. I was scared. Like a child. It was the first time that I had been "alone" in months and I didn't like it. Fortunately, I soon fell asleep but only to have to wake up and go to the bathroom. I rang the bell and a older, male nurse came to my side. I was slightly embarrassed, but hey.....it's his job, right? But he was so gentle, so sweet and so compassionate. He came back to give me my med's and he mentioned that I wouldn't see him again as he was starting a 2 week vacation the next day. Because I was so lonely and scared, I embraced him in a conversation. I asked him where he was going and he told me Texas. That was where he was from. So I asked him "Where in Texas?" and he said, "Midland" - I kept asking him questions, and he kept answering. I was scared and in so much pain and I told him that the more he talked, the less pain I noticed. What a sweet, sweet man. He must have stayed there talking to me for 30 minutes, until I finally fell asleep. I never saw him again.

The next day was sunny and that beautiful sunlight was streaming through my window and for the first time, in a very long time, I felt hope. I prayed to God, hung onto my rosary beads (that were my mothers) and was filled with hope. That night I went to sleep, not afraid at all. I KNEW that I was really going to be okay after all.

Just a couple of quick notes about this facility, Apple Rehab - Mystic. I would recommend it to anyone who has to endure a rehabilitation. The people that work there are the kindest people that I have ever met. I wish I could remember  every one's name - there was the night nurse Bob who I really liked and Linda, another night nurse. Then there was the gal, who's name was a traditional guy's name, like Sam or something. Loved her, very sweet. The other daytime male nurse, who I really liked too - but I suddenly can't recall his name. The CNA's who helped me shower were so, so sweet. Oh and let's not forget Michael, the maintenance guy, who barely missed a day without popping his head in to say hello. On the second or third day there, he was installing a new closet system in my room (along w/ a gal who's name I can't recall right now either. I referred to her as Michael's gal Friday, because she was always helping him!) when I came back from PT. I was pooped! I laid down and he asked if I wanted him to leave, I said no. Well, I guess I fell sound asleep, right alongside his saw and electric nail gun and screwdriver. He came the next day and told me that I fell asleep in about 2 minutes and that I was in a deep, deep sleep never stirring, even with all the noise!! He said I was the most "beautiful and peaceful" sleeper, "almost angelic". Goes to show he didn't really know me, huh?

PT was fine. There was a student there who was sweet. I can't believe that I can't remember their names. However, one day, at just about the two week mark, I mentioned to the lead PT that I was ready to go home!! Now! She said, "OK, I'll tell Kathy". I spoke with Kathy myself later than afternoon and we decided that I could go home the day after next. On this particular day, my Aunt was being discharged. I went and said goodbye to her and was excited about finally being able to go home myself. Yeah!! Home. I hadn't been home in almost 6 weeks. I couldn't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment